IAVCEI 2008 Session: Geodynamic and Tectonic Controls on Volcanism

From: Peter C. LaFemina <plafemina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention and invite you to submit
contributions to our IAVCEI session entitled "Geodynamic and Tectonic
Controls on Volcanism"

Volcanism is an essential part of plate tectonics. The processes of magma
formation, migration through lithosphere, and eventual stagnation or
eruption are directly related to plate boundary type and forces.  This
session seeks to investigate the geodynamic and tectonic controls on
magmatism and volcanism.

This session will address the following questions:

•       What is the relationship between the tectonic environment and volcanism?
•       How do earthquakes and volcanoes interact?
•       What are the controls on magma migration though the lithosphere?

We welcome contributions from the full range of the modern earth sciences
arsenal, including geochemical, geophysical, geological and geodynamic
studies. Review papers integrating multi-parameter analyses are
particularly welcome.

Convenors:
P. LaFemina  Department of Geosciences, Penn State, USA; Email:
plafemina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Wright: School of Earth and the Environment, University of Leeds, UK;
Email: T.Wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul Wetmore Department of Geology, University of South Florida, USA;
Email: pwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxx

We look forward to seeing you in Reykjavik.

Cheers,

Pete