Goldschmidt 2008: Volatile Cycles and the Role of Volatiles in the Mantle

Jackie Dixon <jdixon@xxxxxxxxx>

Friends,
We would like to draw your attention to a special session at the
upcoming Goldschmidt 2008 meeting in
Vancouver. The abstract deadline (March 1) is approaching fast!
Abstracts may be submitted online at:
http://www.goldschmidt2008.org/abstracts/instructions
We look forward to seeing you there.

Session 08f: From Subduction Zones to Plumes and Ridges: Volatile
Cycles and the Role of Volatiles in the Mantle
     Convenors:  Jacqueline Dixon,  Marc Hirschmann
     Keynote: Charles Langmuir
     Invited Speaker:  Manuel Moreira

Earth's global geochemical volatile cycling impacts melt generation,
physical properties of mantle materials, mantle heterogeneity and
planetary evolution. We invite talks that characterize volatile
concentrations, including C-O-H-S species, halogens, rare gases and
stable isotopic compositions of magmas and their mantle sources in
mid-ocean ridge, oceanic island, and arc settings. We also encourage
contributions on the origin and history of terrestrial volatiles and
their behavior over geologic time, the effect of volatiles on mantle
melting, regional heterogeneity in mantle volatile concentrations,
modeling of volatile cycles and the effects of volatiles on mantle
heterogeneity and physical properties.

Thanks,
Jackie

Jacqueline Eaby Dixon