Volcano Seismology - Special Session for 2008 SSA Meeting

From: Charlotte Rowe <char@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues:

Please note that there is a special session on Volcano Seismology planned
for the upcoming Seismological Society of America meeting, which will be
held in Santa Fe, New Mexico from 16-18 April, 2008. On 19 April there will
be field trips that include visits to volcanic sites of interest in the Rio
Grande Rift and lower Colorado Plateau, including the Jemez Mountains / Valles
Caldera and the rift volcanism in the central Rio Grande near Socorro, New
Mexico.

Registration for this meeting is currently open.

Abstracts must be submitted online no later than this Friday, 11 January.

Please visit the SSA website http://www.seismosoc.org and follow the links
to the meeting information and abstract submission site.

The volcano seismology session is described as follows:
Volcano observatories are increasingly working to pool the  information from
various monitoring methods for a broader understanding of premonitory phenomena
and for better confidence in our hazard assessments. More powerful computers
permit greater complexity in analysis and modeling of ever- expanding data sets.
We invite contributions on any aspect of volcano monitoring, particularly those
that demonstrate  reinforcement of hazard assessment through combined methods
including seismic, deformation, acoustic and others, applied at active
volcanoes. We especially encourage presentations  regarding monitoring and
hazard assessment/mitigation at North American volcanoes; however, contributions
from other regions are also welcome.

Conveners

Francisco (Paco) Nunez-Cornu
Univ. de Guadalajara, Puerta Vallarta, Mexico
pacornu77@xxxxxxxxx

Charlotte Rowe
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos NM
char@xxxxxxxx