Expedition to Karymsky: September 2008

From: Alexander Morawitz <alexander.morawitz@xxxxxxx>

THE ROARING OF THE VOLCANO, THE TREMBLING OF THE EARTH AND A TURQUOIS
LAKE OF ACID IN THE WIDTH OF THE WILDERNESS - all this you can
experience at EXPEDITION KARYMSKY 2008 (Kamchatka Peninsula/Far East
of Russia):

I'd like to draw your attention to an extraordinary expedition to one
of Kamchatkas most active volcanoes - Karymsky - which has small and
powerful eruptions of ash and gas nearly all the time. In September
2008 there will be an expedition with russian volcanologist Viktor
Okrugin to Karymsky, to watch the volcano at work. He is familiar
with the powerful and mostly explosive volcanoes of Kamchatka. During
nearly 3 weeks, we will also visit the nearby Caldera Akademia Nauk
with the Karymsky Lake (of 4 km diameter), which last erupts in 1996,
and the active Maly Semyachik Volcano, which we will reach after 2
days of hiking with tents and food on our backs. The 250 m deep
crater hosts a 500 m wide acid lake (pH 0-1) of green or turquoise
colour and 40° C temperature. Inside this ambient lives a colony of
thermophile bacterias of the type thiobacillus thiooxidans. The
textures of the crater walls are extraordinary of colour and shape!
We'll have a full day to explore this mystical scenery.

It is possible, that the night temperatures fall below zero.
Otherwise we will have the wonderful colours of the autumn tundra
around us. The weather in September is mostly fine, nevertheless it
is possible that we also have a cyclone during that time. But there is
a hut and a cook for us!

We will stay at the old volcanologist station at Karymsky (we come
and go by helicopter, allowing us some equipment, which is maybe
interesting for scientists) - but we are far from civilization anyway
- there will be no comfort at all but a nearby hot spring! I'm
experienced with expeditions of that kind and we will have an
impressive time out in the wilderness with peaceful brown bears
around. The bear problems of North America and Canada are not common
in Kamchatka - please look at: http://www.cloudline.org to learn more
about these bears from an expert, who has worked many years in South-
Kamchatka.

For detailed information and photos please look at: http://
www.volcanodiscovery.com/volcano-tours/kamchatka/volcano-
expedition.html?&L=1

or feel free to contact me for special questions:
alexander.morawitz@xxxxxxx

(Please note that this is not a usual Kamchatka tourist tour but
especially made for scientists, students and all people who are
interested in active volcanism and wild nature.)

Looking forward to seeing you in Kamchatka!
Alexander Morawitz, Radebeul (near Dresden)/Germany