AGU Session: Using Geobrowsers (ex. Google Maps/Earth, NASA World Wind) for Science

From: Dina Venezky <dvenezky@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to make you aware of AGU Special Session IN21: Using
Geobrowsers for Science.

In addition to demonstrations and discussions about how our
colleagues are using Google Maps, Google Earth, NASA World Wind, MS
Live Local, ArcGIS, etc., there will also be several "How To"
sessions, such as "How to view and share your data in Google Maps".

Please see our url (http://conferences.images.alaska.edu/agu/2007/)
for more information.

interact with, a three dimensional digital model of the Earth. Along
with two-dimensional computerized mapping systems, Virtual Globes are
changing how we use and organize geographic data on the internet under
the collective name identity of Geobrowers. By integrating datasets
from multiple sources and topical areas, Geobrowsers enable
scientists, educators, and students to apply an Earth systems approach
toward addressing complex issues that pose major challenges for the
future of our lifestyles and the natural environment. These tools also
provide highly effective methods of personating fundamental Earth
science concepts and information.

A rapidly growing community of scientists, educators and developers
provides support, dialog, promotion, and enhancement for design and
use of Geobrowsers. This session focuses on the state of the art by
addressing questions such as:

How are/can these tools currently be used in Earth science?
How have they changed Earth science education?
What venues exist for training scientists and educators to use them?
What requirements of Earth scientists need be more effectively met in
the future by Geobrowser developers?

Our goal is to bring together Earth scientists, educators, developers
and other individuals who are interested in promoting and using
Geobrowsers for scientific understanding and education. We are
particularly interested in how these tools may shape the future of
Earth science education and the relationship of people to the Earth
and each other. Our intent is to facilitate continued growth and
mobilization of a community that promotes use of Virtual Globes in
Earth Science.

Conveners:
John E. Bailey, Arctic Region Supercomputing Center,
jbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glenn Richard, SUNY - Stony Brook, garichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter Prokein, University of Alaska Fairbanks, peter.prokein@xxxxxxx

Jonathan Dehn, Alaska Volcano Observatory, jdehn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx