Explosive Eruption Dynamics AGU Session

From: Darcy Ogden <dogden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider contributing an abstract to the following AGU session on explosive eruption dynamics. We hope to include presentations from a number of different research methodologies (field, observational, numerical, laboratory, etc...) in order to stimulate discussion and future collaborations.
Darcy Ogden and Joe Dufek

V29 : Explosive Eruption Dynamics: Recent Advances and Future Directions

Explosive volcanic eruptions are an agent of rapid landscape evolution,
a source of gases and aerosols that have regional and global climate
impact, and a hazard to numerous population centers. The behavior of
these eruptions is dependent on the flow dynamics of the entire
volcanic system, from the magmatic plumbing system to atmospheric
dispersal. Until recently, many of these dynamics have been obscured by
the inherent difficulty of direct observation and the time-dependent,
spatially heterogeneous nature of explosive eruptions. This session
focuses on recent synergistic advances in field observation techniques,
detailed deposit assays, numerical simulations, and experimental
approaches that have begun to reveal the internal dynamics of explosive
eruptions. We invite presentations on conduit and near-vent dynamics
and the particle-laden plumes and pyroclastic density currents they
generate. We particularly encourage presentations that make connections
between subfields and highlight the crucial observation required to
constrain theoretical descriptions of eruptive behavior.

Conveners:

Josef Dufek
University of California, Berkeley
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Science