AGU Session A05: 25 Years After El Chichón

*******************************
From: Alan Robock <robock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*******************************

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our special session at the AGU Joint
Assembly in Acapulco, México, 22-25 May, 2007
(http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07).  The deadline for submissions is 1 March,
2007, 2359 UT (http://submissions5.agu.org/submission/entrance.asp).

For the Joint Assembly there is no limit on how many abstracts can be submitted
per person.

A05:  25 Years after El Chichón: Volcanic Aerosols and Their Climatic Effects

of volcanic aerosols in the stratosphere, their transport, and their effects on
climate has seen major advances. We invite papers on observational and
theoretical studies of volcanic aerosols, including remote sensing, in situ
observations, their chemistry, transport, and interactions with ozone, as well
as papers on the effects of volcanic eruptions on climate, including
observational and climate model studies. The El Chichón eruption occurred at
the same time as a very large El Niño event, and we particularly invite papers
on the combined effects of both of these events on global climate. While this
El Niño began before the El Chichón eruption, we also invite new studies on the
possible interactions of volcanic eruptions and El Niños. Papers on the effects
of much large volcanic eruptions than El Chichón are also welcome, as are those
on producing new records of past volcanism from ice core and other records.

Confirmed Invited Speakers:

1. Thor Thordarson (University of Edinburgh)
2. Claudia Timmreck (Max Planck Institute for Meteorology)
3. Ignacio Galindo (University of Colima)
4. David Hofmann (NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory)

Conveners:

Alan Robock and Georgiy L. Stenchikov
Rutgers University
14 College Farm Road