Joint Assembly VGP Session: Phanerozoic Magmatism

***********************************
From: Lang Farmer <farmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
***********************************

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to call your attention to the below session sponsored by the Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology Section of the American Geophysical Union during the AGU Joint Assembly to be held in Acapulco, Mexico in May 22-25, 2007. We hope that those of you with an interest in the origin of Phanerozoic igneous activity in SW North America will consider submitting an abstract and attending the meeting. The abstract deadline is March 1st and submission instructions can be found at http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/?content=program.

Hope to see you in Acapulco.

Lang Farmer and Martin Valencia.

V07:
Space-Time-Composition Trends in Phanerozoic Magmatism, Southwestern North America

Convener:
Lang Farmer
University of Colorado
Campus Box 399
Boulder, CO, USA  80309
farmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Martin Valencia Moreno
Estación Regional del Noroeste, Instituto de Geología, UNAM
Apartado Postal 1039
Hermosillo, SON, MEX  C.P. 83240
valencia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This session will involve reassessments of space-time-compositions patterns in Phanerozoic magmatism in the southwestern United States and Mexico, and of the implications these patterns have for understanding the physical evolution of the continental lithosphere and underlying mantle in this region. Particularly encouraged are submissions that use large, regional data sets to look at such problems as the origin and evolution of the Cordilleran magmatism and associated ore deposits, particularly during the Laramide event, the spectacular mid-Tertiary ignimbrite flare-up that built the Sierra Madre Occidental volcanic province, the origin of both the northern and southern Basin and Range extensional provinces, and the emplacement of the Mexican volcanic belt. We consider that contributions to this session will largely enhance our perception on the tectonic processes occurred in southwestern North America since the initiation of plate convergence in the Pacific Ocean margin in mid-Triassic time, particularly due to subduction of the large Farallon and Kula plates, to the fragmentation and final consumption of most of their volume beneath the North America continental crust. This is a great opportunity to re-evaluate the various aspects of one of the most notable and best preserved examples of an oceanic to continental migratory arc on earth. Constructive discussions may help to clarify and/or elucidate new ideas regarding our knowledge about the role of the subducted slab geometry and both the lithospheric and asthenospheric mantle. Computer-generated data animations providing a visual aspect of the migration of magmatic activity and of the changes in magma composition through the Phanerozoic time are also encouraged.

G. Lang Farmer
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Campus Box 399
University of Colorado, Boulder