Session on Submarine Volcanism: IUGG Perugia General Assembly

********************
IUGG Perugia
General Assembly, Perugia, Italy, 2-13 July, 2007

Dr. Sharon Allen
e-mail: Sharon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
********************

Dear colleagues,

We  would like to draw your attention to our session at the IUGG 2007 on
"Submarine volcanism: eruption processes, transport mechanisms and links
with hydrothermal systems"

Conveners:
Dr Sharon Allen and Professor Jocelyn McPhie, University of Tasmania, Australia
email: Sharon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx, J.McPhie@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dr Fabiano Gamberi, Italy
email: fabiano.gamberi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A description of the session is provided below.

Recent detailed volcanological, geophysical, hydrological and geochemical
studies of modern volcanoes on the seafloor have provided us with new
insights into the mechanisms and products of submarine eruptions. It is
also clear that there are close links between seafloor volcanoes and
ore-forming hydrothermal activity. Complementary studies on ancient,
submarine successions provide a 3-dimensional analysis of the facies
architecture and transport and depositional processes involved during
sedimentation. We invite contributions that focus on: (1) the volcanology,
geophysics and sedimentology of modern seafloor volcanoes; (2) physics and
processes of both explosive and effusive submarine eruptions ; (3) facies
analysis, transport and depositional mechanisms of the products of
submarine eruptions; (4) character, setting, and temporal and spatial
variability in seafloor and sub-seafloor hydrothermal systems; and (5)
links between magma reservoirs, magma migration, eruptive processes, and
hydrothermal activity.

For additional information on the IUGG general assembly 2007 visit
http://www.iugg2007perugia.it/

The abstract deadline is 31 January, 2007.

Dr Sharon Allen
Centre for Ore Deposit Research
University of Tasmania
Private Bag 79