IUGG Perugia General Assembly

*********************

Roberto Scandone
scandone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*********************

Dear colleagues,

We  would like to draw your attention to our session on

Calderas II: Calderas and caldera forming eruptions

to be held during the  IUGG Perugia General Assembly,
Perugia, Italy, 2-13 July, 2007.

For additional information on the IUGG general assembly 2007 visit
  http://www.iugg2007perugia.it/

The abstract deadline is 31 January, 2007.

Best regards,

Roberto Scandone

A description of the session is provided below.
VS007:  Calderas II: Calderas and caldera forming eruptions
Sponsoring Association: IAVCEI

Calderas involve the rapid eruption of magma from crustal reservoirs
that vary in size and shape in different tectonic environments. Some
caldera-forming eruptions have been far larger than any in the
historical record and may have had large impacts on earth climate. In
contrast, other large volcanoes have been active for hundred
thousands of years without caldera-forming eruptions.
Much recent volcanological research is aimed at understanding the
conditions favoring the occurrence of large caldera-forming
eruptions, how the magma reservoir develops in time, and how the
resulting caldera is related to the style of the causative eruption.
Lacking direct observation of unrest that preceded large caldera-
forming events, we are dependent on the geologic record of precursory
eruptive activity. Will we be able such data to forecast large
caldera-forming eruptions in the future?
This session focuses on the diverse methods, including field
observations, petrologic and geochronologic studies, geophysical
monitoring, and physical and numerical modeling, that can help
understand the conditions leading to a caldera-forming eruption, its
temporal evolution, and the form and shape of the resulting caldera
and associated subvolcanic magma reservoir.

Convener
Gianfilippo De Astis
e-mail:deastis@xxxxxxxxxx

Peter Lipman