Tungurahua (Ecuador)--Eruption with fatalities

From: Rick Wunderman, Global Volcanism Network <WUNDERMA@xxxxxx>

Initial word has come regarding an eruption at Tungurahua (Ecuador) this
morning (17 August 2006).  In a phone call here a few minutes ago from
Ed Miller (Airline Pilots Assoc) he spoke of press reports discussing
road closures and fatalities.  One press report that I found mentioned
one fatality, another noted 60 missing.  Many of the press reports that
I saw discussed evacuation under difficult conditions. (Several press
reports included as links at bottom but I suspect more clarity in those
reports will emerge tomorrow.)

Here are some key websites and a brief summary of some their reports:

Instituto Geofisico in Ecuador:   http://www.igepn.edu.ec/

(including Special Reports (reportes especiales) for 15 and 16 August
2006)

The latter report noted 20 pyroclastic flows early on 16 August and
relative calm by early afternoon of 16 August.

************ Washington VAAC ************************************
Multiple aviation-oriented updates were issued.  Here's one. (For more,
including associated graphics showing the plumes, go to the Washington
VAAC, http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/messages.html

Tungurahua Volcano erupted in Ecuador.

IMAGE D6140: GOES-12 <> Image Type=Combine <> 08/17/2006 13:15 UTC
RGB=CH(1, 4).

Tungurahua Volcano erupted on August 17, with continuous emissions to
35,000 ft moving west with some steam to 30,000 ft moving east.

Image provided in preview (~62K) and standard (293K) formats.

Preview (500X472):
{http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/VSHTungurahua229_G12L.jpg}

http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/VSHTungurahua229_G12L.jpg

Standard (800x550)

{http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/VSHTungurahua229_G12.jpg}

http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/VSHTungurahua229_G12.jpg

---------

The NOAA Operational Significant Event Imagery Support Team Interactive
Processing Branch, (E/SP22)
tel: (301) 763-8142
fax: (301) 899-9196

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the appropriate
OSEI scientist:

Curtis Holland OSEI Team Leader

	         Curtis.Holland@xxxxxxxx  301-763-8142
Mark Ruminski Mark.Ruminski@xxxxxxxx 301-763-8444
Jamie Kibler     Jamie.Kibler@xxxxxxxx    301-763-8444
Regis Walter     Regis.Walter@xxxxxxxx    301-763-8444
Nancy Merckle    Nancy.Merckle@xxxxxxxx   301-763-8444
Greg Gallina     Greg.Gallina@xxxxxxxx    301-763-8444
Jay Hanna        Jay.Hanna@xxxxxxxx       301-763-8444
Kyle Turner      Kyle.Turner@xxxxxxxx     301-763-8142

************ PRESS REPORTS ***********************
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1035052006
(Reuters)

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=138023
60 missing and over 3000 evacuated

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rick Wunderman

NOTE NEW Email!!! wunderma@xxxxxx
(My previous address still accepts incoming mail)

Editor
Bulletin of the Global Volcanism Network
Smithsonian Institution
National Museum of Natural History
10th & Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20560-0119