Fall AGU Session: Bridging the Volcanic and Plutonic Perspectives of Silicic Magma Evolution

From: Jorge Vazquez <jvazquez@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,
We would like to bring to your attention the following session to be held during the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, December 11-15, 2006, in San Francisco, USA. The abstract submission deadline is September 7. For more information: http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm06/

V10 Bridging the Volcanic and Plutonic Perspectives of Silicic Magma Evolution Technical advances in recent years have vastly improved our ability to apply geochronometers and geothermometers to silicic magma systems, but also raised questions as to what these dates mean in relation to the long-term development and maintenance of silicic magma reservoirs. When coupled with geothermometery, geochronology can potentially provide a wealth of information on the thermal evolution of magma reservoirs. For this session, we invite contributions that address new and innovative techniques linking the plutonic and volcanic evolution of silicic magmatic systems and their thermo-chemical evolution. We encourage examples from both the volcanic and plutonic realms (or examples where both are preserved), and studies that utilize a variety of techniques, such as high-precision TIMS and/or microbeam dating of zircon (and other magmatic accessory phases), Ti-in-zircon geothermometry, and use of other thermochronometers to help constrain the T-t evolution of silicic magma systems.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Matzel
Berkeley Geochronology Center
Berkeley, CA, USA  94709