Inquiry regarding obsidian 'Apache tears'

From: Tom Hanley <hanley_tom@xxxxxxxxx>

We have been given a box of what I think are called
"Apache Tears."  They are globs of black obsidian that
appear to have been imbedded in concentrically banded
gray pumice from which they have popped.  Does anyone
have experience with this interesting structure? The
contact between the black obsidian "tear" and the gray
enveloping pumice is glassy and distinct.

Thanks.

Tom Hanley, Prof. of Geology
Department of Chemistry and Geology, C.S.U.
4225 University Ave., Columbus, GA 31907-5645
VOX: (706) 568-2075; FAX: (706) 569-3133
See our Departmental home page http://chemgeo.colstate.edu/
Links to the ACRES projects and to Panama photos may be found at:
http://chemgeo.ColState.edu/th_hp.htm
"Rock Trails in Central Park" co-authored with M.M. Graff, is available for
download at http://www.greenswardparks.org