Magma-limestone exchange in the field

***************************************
Magma-limestone exchange in the field
***************************************
From: Fabrice Gaillard <fabrice.gaillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcano-list subscribers,

Giada Iacono Marziano and I are leading a research program on magmatic
assimilation of sedimentary carbonate. Until now, most of our work was
focussed on an experimental determination of the effect of calcite
assimilation by basalts on phase relations, magmatic differentiation and
volatiles budgets. Such process most likely occurs at depth below Italian
volcanoes and constitutes an important part of CO2 injection into the
atmosphere by volcanoes. To verify and complement our experimental approach
we need to examine in details outcrop of basaltic dikes intruding
sedimentary limestone. Such outcrops, apparently relatively frequent, are
essentially described in relatively old literature (i.e.Tilley, 1952) and
are actually very informative regarding the mechanisms of assimilation. Our
message is addressed to field volcanologists who are studying or have
studied such outcrops. We search for collaborative field excursions that
would be pursued by experimental and geochemical studies. Any messages of
interest should be addressed to:

Giada Iacono Marziano : <mailto:g.iacono@xxxxxxxxxx>g.iacono@xxxxxxxxxx
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Via Ugo la Malfa 153, 90146
Palermo, Italy

Fabrice Gaillard :
<mailto:Fabrice.gaillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Fabrice.gaillard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ISTO, UMR 6113 CNRS, 1 A rue de la Férollerie, 45071 Orléans Cedex 02, France

Thank you for your interest.

Fabrice GAILLARD
Researcher at ISTO
Institut des Sciences de la Terre d'Orleans
UMR 6113 CNRS - Universite d'Orleans
1A rue de la Ferollerie
45071 Orleans Cedex
FRANCE