Call for papers: Special Issue ?VolcanoRemote Sensing?

Call for papers: Special Issue ?Volcano Remote Sensing?
From: Gerald Ernst <plumeman2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Special Issue in ?Volcano Remote Sensing?,
International Journal of Remote Sensing:
Call for papers!

A special conference session focusing on advances in remote sensing of
volcanoes, of eruptions and of volcanic hazards, with special interest in those
advances that could be, or are already applied to advancing efforts to monitor
and to better understand less well-known volcanoes in the developing world and
elsewhere took place at the University of Portsmouth, UK on September 6-9,
2006.

The special session took place during the RSPSoc Conference organised by the
?Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society? (RSPSoc) and by the ?Geological
Remote Sensing Group (GRSG) of the Geological Society of London?. The theme of
the RSPSoc-GRSG Conference was: ?Measuring, Monitoring and Mapping a Hazardous
World?. The conference was, it seems, an unprecedented success.

In the VRS special session, over 30 papers were contributed and have been
invited for submission to a special issue of the peer-reviewed, International
Journal of Remote Sensing (IJRS). We already anticipate receiving between 10
and 30 papers from the conference contributors, including papers on
applications of VRS in Africa, Indonesia, Galapagos and Central America and
papers highlighting and illustrating relevant new RS techniques or approaches.

Here we would like to broaden the call for papers to any VRS contributors,
especially to those who perceive their research could help accelerate
application of RS or integrated approaches including RS to advance
understanding and monitoring of volcanoes in the developing world.

In our view, this special IJRS volume is one exciting opportunity to gather
recent VRS advances. This may help the volcanology and RS communities evaluate
recent developments and we hope it may serve open up new avenues to help
monitoring and understanding of those volcanoes that have so far received only
little or moderate attention ? sometimes extremely little attention.

It is our opinion that a scaling-up of such efforts in the coming decade is
much needed to both help colleagues and efforts in LDCs and generate an
unprecedented wealth of fresh data that may contribute many new insights on
how volcanoes and eruptions work in the future. We would be grateful if you
would help us in this crucial effort by considering sending your contributions
so that the IJRS special issue may be the success we hope and help us all
assess the state-of-the-art and identify most needed efforts.

Deadlines:

1. Confirmation - to Gerald ERNST or Richard Teeuw - that you wish to submit a
paper, along the paper's title and a brief outline of its content (including
main headings and likely sub-headings), by March 5, 2006.

2. Submission of the full paper, by May 15, 2006.

We plan to allow one month for the reviewers to make their comments, and then
one month for authors to modify your manuscripts accordingly.

Authors should aim to produce a paper of between 5000 and 8000 words. The IJRS
instructions for authors can be found at:

http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/tresauth.asp

Please follow the IJRS guidelines when preparing your manuscript.

We intend to use electronic submission and reviewing throughout the production
stages, which should speed up the whole publication process.

We will email details about the IJRS electronic submission system to those
potential contributors who will have answered the call by submitting their
initial brief proposals for IJRS papers by the deadline.

We look forward to proposals & outlines of those papers to be submitted to
IJRS. Please do not hesitate to email us if you have any queries.

With best wishes and kind regards,

Richard TEEUW & Gerald ERNST

-----
Dr. Richard M. TEEUW, Chair, Geological Remote Sensing Group (a Special
Interest Group of the Geological Society of London and the Remote Sensing &
Photogrammetry Society - http://www.grsg.org)

Email: richard.teeuw@xxxxxxxxxx

-----
Dr. Gerald GJ. ERNST, Belgian NSF Researcher, Geological Institute, Mercator
& Ortelius Research Centre for Eruption Dynamics, and Joseph Plateau
Geological Fluid Dynamics (now operational), University of Ghent, Krijgslaan
281/S8, 9000 Ghent, Belgium

Emails: plumeman2000@xxxxxxxxxxx