Re: question about vlan and brouter(setup 1b)

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:22:41PM +0800, net-wolf wrote:
> Hi, all:
>        I haved tried config setup 1b as mentioned by
>        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=105098558615614 But
>        failed,   67%  of  the ping packet from box a to box b
>        is lost, and no more than 1% of  ping packet can reach
>        box a from box b.  My os is fedora 5 ,nic is realtek
>        8039, any hints is appreciated.  Also, will  who
>        succeeded with setup 1b tell me your linux os version
>        and nic type?  I will try redhat 9 and intel 82559 nic
>        as soon as possible.  Many thanks in advance.  Best
>        regards

Actually: setup 1b will not work with a cheap SVL switch and
without mac-address masquerading.
The switch will only see the port number change for the
source mac-address.
This wil usually result in very bad "connectivity", and it can
result in STP-reconfigure messages send to the backbone switch.
(If bpdu and other stp packets are forwarded as-is :-) ).

So: check you configuration if you are actually doing mac-address
masquerading, you *really* need it!

If you wonder why it does work on cheap linux routers with
built-in switches: those switches almost have IVL.

--
begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter