[VLAN] 802.1Q - MAC Spoofing

Stephen Weyland wrote:
> P Chaitra-A15829 wrote:
>> Ben,
>>
>> I get the below warning when I try to configure vconfig for the first
>> time.
>> [root@arabhi] vconfig add eth0 5
>> WARNING:  Could not open /proc/net/vlan/config.  Maybe you need to load
>> the 8021q module, or maybe you are not using PROCFS??
>> Added VLAN with VID == 5 to IF -:eth0:-
>>
> Hi Ben
>
> I ran across this yesterday. I can't remember exactly what the problem
> with vconfig was since I ended up using the Red Hat recommended method.
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_45_3681.shtm
> This works perfectly and you can see exactly what's going on.
>
> I think the problem with the vconfig was you need to do "vconfig add
> eth0.1 5" instead of "vconfig add eth0 5"
No, that would not be a good idea.  The warning is just a warning.  You
will see it the first time the vconfig
tool runs.  The kernel module will be automatically loaded after that
(if it is available).  If this warning continues,
then you have problems, probably with your kernel configuration.

Thanks,
Ben