[VLAN] changing the mac address on a vlan interface

Ard van Breemen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:28:34PM +1000, James Harper wrote:
>
>>and I change the MAC address on eth0.101 to something different than
>>eth0, will it actually work? I have issued a 'ip link set' command and
>>it appears to have done the right thing, but I'm not yet able to test
>>it, and will need to revise my strategy if it doesn't work.
>

> Jups.
> But it can only be set if the vlan itself is down (heh, you get
> an error if you don't do that).
> So: create the vlan, set the mac-address, and bring it up.

As an implementation note, this works by putting the underlying NIC into
promisc mode.  This almost never causes any problems..but on certain
noisy networks it may slightly decrease performance of your system since
it will be receiving and throwing away a large number of packets not
actually destined for it...

Ben