[VLAN] loading the module

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:36:21PM -0400, Torres, Javier wrote:
> Thx for the post

Welcome.

> You are correct in that I am running fc2 sorry for not adding that
> before.

Sure.

> The mod-probe.conf file does run on-boot, it is were I specify my
> nic and raid controller drivers.  What I was hoping to learn was
> coulkd I just list the 8021q.ko or does it need an alias like the
> nics?

modprobe.conf is a configuration file and doesn't run at all.
modprobe is the program that runs, and reads modprobe.conf.

Whether modprobe runs on boot or not depends on kernel configuration
and possibly other things.

Since RH likes modules, you could add a boot path to modules.conf
(not modprobe.conf) as described in my last mail or I guess add 8021q
as a dependency or post-install of your NIC module:

#either a dependency.. (replace e1000 with your NIC driver)
add below e1000 8021q

#..or a post-install (replace e1000 with your NIC driver)
post-install e1000 modprobe 8021q

This clearly isn't the preferred way of loading modules automatically
on boot in RH but should work just fine as long as you keep your NIC
driver modular.

//Peter