[VLAN] macvlan_config

Ben Greear wrote:
> Ard van Breemen wrote:
>> Hello Ben,
>> I want to start supporting macvlan's in debian (with debian style
>> "auto" configuration).
>> I'm just not so charmed with the name macvlan_config.
>> Is it ok if I rename that (in the resulting package) to mvconfig?
>
> That is fine by me.
>
>> I think that macvlan's are essential if you want to do "pure"
>> vrrp implementations (with mac-address failover).
>
> I have re-written the mac-vlan patch a bit lately, primarily to
> simplify the code and remove functionality I never used (and thus, never
> tested.)
>
> The main changes:
>
> *  Allow only matching on the destination MAC, not the source.

Uh?  Surely source MAC matching is what MAC address based VLANs
(on any platform) should be about.  So that you can group hosts into
VLANs.

> *  Allow only matching a single MAC address, not a list.
>    (Removed the hash lookup logic as well.)

Why? Surely the point of VLANs is to group *multiple* hosts into
virtual LANs.

> If you want to re-add this functionality, lets talk about it.
>
> I also fixed some crashes on module removal and some locking
> logic.
>
> The patch is now included in our combined patch, but you can
> split it out easily enough.  You can find the patch here:
>
> http://www.candelatech.com/oss/candela_2.6.17.patch
>
> The latest vconfig/mvl_config snapshot is here:
> http://www.candelatech.com/oss/vlan-2006-08-04.tgz

This seems to be completely unrelated now to the patch I originally
sent to this list.  This is not a problem in itself, but I can't see
how the functionality still relates to MAC address based VLANs....

Alex