[VLAN] VLAN configuration - native VLAN and setting PVID

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:00:14 -0400
"Kumara Sundaram" <sundarwaiting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I have a Linux box with 3 ethernet interfaces, eth0, eth1 and eth2.
> Am planning to convert the box into a VLAN switch. Let eth1 and eth2 are
> configured for VLAN 1 and 2 respectively. Let eth0 be a trunk carrying both
> VLAN frames. Am going for the following configuration.
>
> $vconfig add eth1 1
> $vconfig add eth2 2
> $
> $vconfig add eth0 1
> $vconfig add eth0 2
> $
> $brctl addbr br1
> $brctl addif br1 eth0.1
> $brctl addif br1 eth1.1
> $
> $brctl addbr br2
> $brctl addif br2 eth0.2
> $brctl addif br2 eth1.2
>
> The basic idea of the above configuration is based on the fact that each
> VLAN can be simulated with individual bridges per VLAN. The above
> configuration works fine as expected.
> eth0 acts as trunk carrying frames with both VLAN IDs(1 and 2). This trunk
> can be connected to a similar switch on the other end to span the VLAN
> segmentation across switches.
>
> Now, I wish to make VLAN 1 a native VLAN for VLAN unaware systems connecting
> to the switch. So, the trunk will carry both tagged frames as well as
> untagged frames. how should I configure such a setup? Also, please give me
> an idea of how to implement PVIDs?
>
> Thanks!

What is full topology? That should work if there are no other connections
between the vlan's. If you are using a switch that knows about vlan's it won't
work because the switch will see a loop. Also, a switch may see their
spanning tree packets loop around and drop the links!