[VLAN] Newbiew question: Need some clarifications in 802.1q and bridging code interaction in linux

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:12:23 +0530
"Pranjal Kumar Dutta" <pranjalkumardutta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>               Thank you very much for the clarification. Generally in
> commercial multi-layer switches by bridging we mean the entity is capable of
> separating the vlan domains and does switching within specific the vlan
> domain. So I got the confusion. In Linux implememtation a bridge means a
> broadcast domain, so for example  if I need to support all 4096 vlans then I
> need to create 4096 bridging entities and attach the specific subports like
> eth01.2, eth01.3 etc to bridge for that vlan. So the forwarding rules of
> bridge (br_handle_frame) needn't take care of vlan encapsulation if any as
> vlan tags (packet type 0x8100) will be processed before bridging code
> analyzes it and vlan layer will pass the sk_buff to the specific bridge
> that is attached to that vlan subport (ethx.y). Am I right?
>
> Thanks,
> Pranjal

You can bridge at the ethernet device level but then you loose the ability to do
different configurations for each vlan. You could use netfilter rules based
on vlan if you wanted.