[VLAN] VLAN problem with netlink interface (kernel 2.4.25)

Dear all,

Due to this is my first mail in this maillist, so let me introduce myself.
My name is Ferm?n Gal?n, and I'm working at CTTC in applications related
with VLANs.

I'm experiencing some problems using the VLAN support in Linux kernel 2.4.25
(a bit old nowadays).

The problem appears after using vconfig to create and remove the same VLANs
several times (for example, 'vconfig add eth0 111', then 'vconfig rem
eth0.111', then 'vconfig add eth0 111', etc.). In this situation, the
netlink kernel interface (AFAIK, a API/"protocol" that applications can use
to get information about the interfaces known by the kernel) behaves weird:
it returns information about "ghost" interfaces (interfaces that actually
don't exist). I've checked this behaviour with applications that uses
netlink (netlink.h). However, if the machine is rebooted and the VLANs
created after the boot (but not deleted and created again) the problem
dissapears and the netlink interface seems to work fine.

I would like to know if there are known issues in that kernel version
(2.4.25), with VLAN, netlink or the combited use of both. Or maybe is a
problem of 'vconfig' command (I don't know what is exactly my vconfig
version; I've tried 'vconfig --version' but the program hasn't told me it
:)? Any information/link/reference/etc is very welcome!

I would like also to know your opition about upgrating the kernel to a newer
version (for example, the last stable one provided by kernel.org, 2.6.14.2).
Do you think it could solve this problems? Have been significative
improvements in VLAN support since 2.4.25? What about backward compability?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Ferm?n Gal?n M?rquez
CTTC - Centre Tecnol?gic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia, Av. del Canal Ol?mpic s/n, 08860
Castelldefels, Spain
Room 1.02
Tel : +34 93 645 29 12
Fax : +34 93 645 29 01