[VLAN] Problem with initialization

Oops, I can't type :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Stanley, Jon
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 6:39 PM
To: vlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problem with initialization

On an RHEL4 system (HP DL360G3, with the vlan_init package distributed
by HP), when I reboot the server, the network interfaces do not function
- they do not transmit traffic.  They receive traffic just fine, and on
the correct virtual interface, and the received traffic can be inspected
with tcpdump.

The transmit counter does not increment in either the output of
ifconfig, or in /proc/net/vlan/eth0.<vid>.  The kernel routing table and
route cache look normal, and I'm at a loss to explain it.

The fix to this is to do an /etc/init.d/vlan restart, so I added some
logging to that script at every point that it actually does something,
and there is no difference between the output when the system boots and
it doesn't work, and when I manually restart it and it does work.

I was thinking it may be a module ordering problem, so I put the
following into /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 tg3
alias eth1 tg3
install tg3 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install tg3 ; /sbin/modprobe 8021q

BTW, this also happens on an RHEL3 system, but the whole VLAN driver
there is supplied by HP, not just the init stuff.  The vlan init script
comes after the general network one, so that the interface is up and
available prior to vconfig being run.

Any suggestions?
-Jon