[VLAN] Linux bridge+vlan+tagging

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 03:09:37PM +0100, liam sharp wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks very much for that information, setup 1b has
> really helped me. I now have my network fully
> functional. I have one more question however ;-)

I'm glad it worked out! :)

> How can I tell what Vlan a given MAC address is in ?
>
> I have looked in the arp table, but this shows all
> MAC's connected to the trunk as coming from br0.
>
> Any guidance on this one would be much appreciated !

Right. Think of this question another way:

"On which member interface in the bridge is this MAC address
reachable?"

It's a bridging issue, nothing to do with VLANs.

But depending on what you want to be able to do with this information
I may have a simple answer for you anyway. :)

You can use ebtables to make rules even inside a bridge. These rules
can mark packets, and the mark can be read in iptables.

If you want userspace accounting or logging, I guess ebtables rules
with a target of netlink or even syslog would be the easiest
solution.

//Peter