Re: virt-install: changing default --os-variant behavior

On 9/20/20 4:46 PM, Peter Crowther wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 21:10, Cole Robinson <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> [...]
>
>     2) Default to --os-variant detect=on,name=<virtio-something>. 'give me
>     virtio' is representative of what most virt-install users want. But this
>     adds some new corner cases, ex if anyone is using virt-install with
>     windows up until now they could get away without specifying a
>     --os-variant and things would generally work, but now if we default to
>     virtio windows out of the box is not going to install. I kinda doubt
>     many people are using virt-install with windows though.
>

> As feedback, this is the single largest use case in the main
> virtualisation cluster I manage.  CentOS hosts, 90% Windows 7(!) and 8.1
> guests.  We have our virt-install scripted to add a floppy drive with
> autoinstall file, virtio drivers, and a few other bits and pieces like a
> minimal puppet client install (surprisingly non-trivial in Windows 7
> gold), so we could live with such a change; but please don't assume that
> if the hosts are Linux then the guests are also likely to be Linux.

Thanks for the info. I don't expect we will go this route.

But presumably you are already specifying an --os-variant though? In
which case you would be fine even if the default changes.

If you aren't using --os-variant there's a chance that media OS
detection could fail (if you started using a new/updated windows ISO
that osinfo-db doesn't detect correctly) and then virt-install would
start generating different configurations on you.

- Cole

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]