Re: virt-install: changing default --os-variant behavior

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 21:10, Cole Robinson <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
2) Default to --os-variant detect=on,name=<virtio-something>. 'give me
virtio' is representative of what most virt-install users want. But this
adds some new corner cases, ex if anyone is using virt-install with
windows up until now they could get away without specifying a
--os-variant and things would generally work, but now if we default to
virtio windows out of the box is not going to install. I kinda doubt
many people are using virt-install with windows though.

As feedback, this is the single largest use case in the main virtualisation cluster I manage.  CentOS hosts, 90% Windows 7(!) and 8.1 guests.  We have our virt-install scripted to add a floppy drive with autoinstall file, virtio drivers, and a few other bits and pieces like a minimal puppet client install (surprisingly non-trivial in Windows 7 gold), so we could live with such a change; but please don't assume that if the hosts are Linux then the guests are also likely to be Linux.

Why do we do it this way?  Because we're in a regulated environment, and it means we can show an inspector (think FDA in the States) *exactly* how we built each VM, with no magic "... yeah, and then we saved that disk image, and we've cloned everything from it since... no, we can't reproduce it byte for byte, because the location of the files is nondeterministic...".

[...]

Cheers,

- Peter

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [KVM Development]     [CentOS Virtualization]     [Netdev]     [Ethernet Bridging]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]