Re: virt-manager test suite hangs on FreeBSD

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 09:47:42AM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 18:01 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> >
> > I reproduced. Part of the test suite was forking off /bin/true to hit a
> > code path. But when /bin/true wasn't available it would leave a stranded
> > process which caused the hang. Fixed both now upstream

> > > Doing so doesn't really result in additional information being
> > > printed out: it still just quietly hangs there.
> >
> > This was a separate bug, calling into the cli tools for clitest.py would
> > reset the test suite debugging. That's fixed too
>
> That's awesome, thank you so much! I already posted a patch[1] that
> enables the test suite on FreeBSD in the CentOS CI environment, so
> if a regression manages to sneak in we'll catch it right away.
>
> One more thing. Right now virt-manager is the only project we have on
> CentOS CI that uses the python3-libxml2 bindings in the first place,
> with all others using python3-lxml instead, and that leads to a
> reduced test matrix for it because the former are not available on
> Ubuntu 16.04 and CentOS 7.
>
> So that makes me wonder, does python3-lxml provide a better API or
> something? Would it be a massive amount of work to port virt-manager
> to it, and would it even make sense to do so? In due time we'll stop
> supporting those two targets anyway...

They both use libxml native library under the hood. The lxml bindings
are exposing libxml in a way that is "more pythonic" and thus easier
and safer to use.  So in long term I expect virt-manager would likely
benefit from lxml, if anyone wants to do the grunt work.

Regards,
Daniel