Re: Attempting to use rpihddevice on Debian

Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 09:47:11AM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 06:41:19PM +0200, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
sudo make -C vdr install
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib:/opt/vc/lib/plugins vdr -Prpihddevice

It failed due to an unresolved symbol:

vdr: /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so: undefined symbol: glPointSizePointerOES

With the preinstalled raspberrypi-userland of Raspberry OS Legacy, that problem does not exist. I submitted a fix:

https://github.com/reufer/rpihddevice/pull/3

I wasted quite a bit of time because the README file of that repository points to git://projects.vdr-developer.org/vdr-plugin-rpihddevice.git which has not been updated since 1.0.4. Other compilation issues that I faced had been fixed in the 1.0.5 release.

For Debian Bookworm, I compiled and installed the userland library like this:

sudo apt install build-essential cmake
git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland.git/
(cd userland; ./buildme)

With this in place, I was able to compile and install vdr and the two plugins that I intend to use.

git clone http://git.tvdr.de/vdr.git

(cd vdr/PLUGINS/src; git clone https://github.com/reufer/rpihddevice.git)

curl http://www.escape-edv.de/endriss/vdr/vdr-remote-0.7.0.tgz --output -|
tar xzf - -C vdr/PLUGINS/src
ln -s remote-0.7.0 vdr/PLUGINS/src/remote

make -C vdr -j$(nproc)
sudo make -C vdr install

Currently, VDR refuses to start up like this:
* failed to open vchiq instance

I did not have that problem on Raspberry OS Legacy last week. I believe that I will have to adjust some boot parameters to allow more memory to be allocated to the VideoCore GPU. The booting setup appears to be a bit different between Debian and Raspberry OS.

I understand that for users in Germany, rpihddevice may be of limited use due to the lack of H.265 support:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1168/
Luckily, Finland uses H.264 for DVB-T2.

It would be great if raspberrypi-userland and rpihddevice could be packaged in Debian.

	Marko