Re: VDR packages in Debian and e-tobi.net

Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 04:56:54PM +0200, René wrote:
Klaus just released 2.6.0. Any chance if we could get that version too? :-)

For me, git://projects.vdr-developer.org/vdr-plugin-rpihddevice.git would be a must-have feature.

Today I made an attempt of installing Debian Sid from the scratch on a new SD card, starting with https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPiImages and documenting the steps.

The non-obvious first steps (to enable system clock updates and make the system visible in the .local network) were as follows:

apt install systemd-timesyncd avahi-daemon
timedatectl set-ntp on

Tobias wrote:
Still on the TODO list are:

∙ vdr-plugin-rpihddevice
[snip]
For rpihddevice I'm not sure what to do - OMX and MMAL have been
deprecated in Raspbian/bullseye, so it doesn't even build out of the box.
And it doesn't look like a V4L2 version is being worked on.

Today, I was almost able to compile VDR 2.6.0 on Debian Sid with rpihddevice. First, the dependencies:

apt install build-essential git
apt install pkg-config gettext
apt install libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev
apt install libcap-dev libncurses5-dev
apt install libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev

Then, as a normal user, execute the following:

git clone http://git.tvdr.de/vdr.git
git clone git://projects.vdr-developer.org/vdr-plugin-rpihddevice.git
ln -s ../../../vdr-plugin-rpihddevice vdr/PLUGINS/src/rpihddevice
make -C vdr -j$(nproc)

The build failed due to a missing header:

ilclient.c:50:10: fatal error: interface/vcos/vcos.h: No such file or directory

There are very few Raspberry specific packages in Debian. libbcm2835-dev is covering something else.

As far as I can tell, the file is provided by the Raspberry OS or Ubuntu package libraspberrypi-dev in /opt/vc/include or /usr/include, respectively. That package appears to be missing from Debian, even the non-free section.

Tobias, would it be possible to add these packages to Debian Sid?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

I am not familiar with this, but I see that something in interface/vcos was changed only 2 months ago. Most of the files are years old, but so is my Raspberry Pi 2. I did not notice any deprecation message, but I suppose that you were referring to some other interface being deprecated.

The Ubuntu package could serve as a starting point:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/source/impish/raspberrypi-userland

My aim is to document the process of creating a minimal VDR installation on a Raspberry Pi. It would be great if all code were available out of the box.

For me, the "killer feature" would be custom configuration for making VDR automatically start up when the USB DVB adapter is plugged in. An unplugged adapter cannot waste electricity or let a lighting bolt kill the server.

	Marko