Re: Making VDR run under Systemd

Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 10:57:23AM +0200, g.bruno wrote:
Hallo,

the problem for the shutdown bottom "no -s option" (not parameter) is in /etc/vdr/config.d/00-vdr.conf
where the line 21 concerning shutdown is commented out:

#--shutdown=/usr/lib/vdr/vdr-shutdown.wrapper

Thank you, but it is not that simple in case VDR is not the main use of the system. What I would want to achieve is some kind of a "wake lock" (borrowing Android terminology): the system would shut down automatically after some timeout, unless a service prevents it from shutting down. VDR would be only one such service. There could other reasons that prevent a shutdown, say, a user being logged in, or a file server running or being actively used.

I would want VDR to release most resources (and stop consuming 5% of CPU time and a larger chunk of the 1GiB RAM) when I press the Power button on the RCU. If I press the button again, VDR should wake up. Maybe this can be achieved with a "shutdown" program that would not actually shut anything down, but wait for another Power button press to possibly start up VDR.

Another feature that I might want is that when I plug in the DVB-T2 stick into the computer, VDR will start up. That is, the main purpose of the computer could be something else, and the computer would switch to "appliance mode" only when needed. Likewise, the USB stick would only consume power and expose the system to lighting (via the antenna mast) when needed (when someone wants to watch or record something with VDR). That I believe is achievable with udev rules. Maybe the whole should then be driven via udevd and not systemd.

When time permits, I will try to experiment more.

	Marko