Making VDR run under Systemd

Hi all,

I was an active VDR user from about 2004 to 2010 when my children were younger and there was a need to record TV programs for them. The old setup was more or less abandoned when I got a smart TV and the family started to use video streaming services.

Some years ago, I got a Raspberry Pi 2 B and an Astrometa DVB-T2 USB stick that also includes an infrared receiver. Because its bundled remote control unit (RCU) has much fewer buttons than the one that I got with the Hauppauge Nova-T PCI 90002 years ago, I configured lircd to translate the RC5 codes from the old RCU. For output, I am using rpihddevice.

Yesterday, I upgraded to VDR 2.5.6 and rpihddevice 1.0.4 from git://projects.vdr-developer.org/vdr-plugin-rpihddevice.git while keeping the rest of the Raspbian 9.13 mostly intact.

I installed the self-built software simply by replacing the original /usr/bin/vdr that was part of the distribution's vdr 2.2.0 package, and copying the plugin to /usr/lib/vdr/plugins/. It might not be the cleanest solution, but it worked for me.

I had some trouble with Systemd, which I resolved by creating a configuration file:

# cat > /etc/systemd/system/vdr.service << EOF
[Service]
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=1s
ExecStart=/usr/bin/vdr
TimeoutStartSec=infinity
EOF
# systemctl daemon-reload
# service lightdm stop
# service vdr start

I did not double-check it, but I understood that this could entirely bypass the /etc/init.d/vdr script, which would invoke the runvdr script (which normally runs vdr in a loop). If I choose Restart from the VDR menu, systemd will restart it nicely.

I did not configure the Power button yet. Currently, VDR complains that no -s parameter is given when I press the Power button on the RCU. Ideally, I think that VDR should suspend the live video output and somehow inform Systemd that the entire system may be suspended, as far as VDR is concerned. (Of course, only if there are no recordings or remote connections active to VDR.) Then, if nothing else prevents the system from being shut down or suspended, Systemd would do it based on its configuration.

Years ago, I developed some patches and configuration at https://iki.fi/msmakela/software/vdr/ to achieve something like this on my old system, and I would now like to revive this somehow. Ideally, the Power button would shut down the DVB receiver and display some indication on the OSD or the video frame buffer that the output has been suspended.

If my Raspberry Pi were not an "always-on server" that runs some other services as well, I might want to reimplement the "wake-on-RCU" hardware that is generating a wake-on-LAN signal via the Nova-T PCI card, possibly by extending https://spellfoundry.com/product/sleepy-pi-2-usb-c/ or a similar product that would implement a wake-on-timer for the Raspberry Pi. Then, the system would power up nicely either by RCU or by a recording timer. Integrating the wake-on-timer logic with Systemd could be another challenge. I might try this on PC hardware, which already supports wake-on-timer out of the box. A quick search turned up a promising starting point:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.timer.html

The motivation of this exercise is to have a stand-alone VDR front/back end installation that plays nicely with Systemd, without reinventing any logic around scheduling, startup, and shutdown.

Maybe one day, once some more progress has been made with Wayland and when using a Raspberry Pi model with more GPU memory, one could press the Power button on the RCU and have the live TV pop up either fullscreen or in a window, on top of the graphical desktop (which would be available for generic use).

Best regards,

	Marko