Re: VDR system on Raspberry pi vs these all in one systems

By `read made systems` I assume you mean devices like Nvidia Shield,
Amazon Firestick, Vero, the various Amlogic-based boxes, etc. These
are basically meant to be plug-and-play so I'm not sure why you think
they'd be any more complicated than building a VDR setup. I know
several people who use them and I've never heard anyone complain about
swapping out storage. If some device does have issues with
hot-swapping usb, it's not like turning the box off, swapping the usb
storage out and then turning it back on should be a problem.

One of the first problems is waiting so long to upgrade from long
deprecated VCR recorders and VHS tapes. I would strongly recommend you
_not_ invest any more money into such ancient and dead-end technology
and instead use your resources to modernize. The cost of staying with,
maintaining, repairing, replacing VCR's and VHS will far exceed the
cost to modernize.

The next problem you have is restricting yourself to OTA content
providers that sounds like they offer limited and patchy guide data at
best. No setup will give you what isn't available. You're going to
have to find some kind of alternative for guide data, or make due.

As far as recommendations, only you know what your budget is. If you
simply can't afford a suitable plug-and-play device then your only
choice is to go with Raspberry Pi (or similar) and get your hands
dirty. The one thing I will say is a Raspberry Pi setup is going to
cost more than $35 when you factor in the additional cost of a power
supply, case, storage, cables, etc. (unless you already have all
that). $35 gets you a Raspberry Pi mainboard, it doesn't get you
everything you need to actually use it.