Semantics of OsdItem and OsdCurrentItem

Hi,

I'm struggling a bit with the semantics of OsdItem and OsdCurrentItem in
VDR 2.2.0. My initial assumption was that all items in a menu would
first be announced by OsdItem and later calls to OsdCurrentItem would
then identify the current selection or change its text.

This is true for VDR's main menu and the Settings submenu. When I open
Settings -> OSD, OsdItem is not called anymore. Rather, I get multiple
calls to OsdCurrentItem. The argument of some of the calls are not even
valid menu entries: 'Language:#0110', 'Language:#011English',
'Skin:#0113', 'Skin:#011Text mode', 'Left (%):#0118', ...

I also noticed that in submenus of the Settings menu (e.g. the OSD
menu), the call to OsdCurrentItem is repeated about every second with
the same argument. This does not happen in the main menu or the Settings
submenu.

Note: In the standard implementation of VDR's own status plugin, OsdItem
will not produce any log messages, the call to dsyslog is commented out.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Malte