Re: "TS packets to determine frame type"

Yup, I see your reasoning behind it. Only one thing though...
Transcoding is not going to give you improved quality regarding of
what encoder and settings you use. Size can be reduced which is a plus
but there's degradation with every trip a stream makes through an
encoder. Encoding always has and always will be a one-way street in
terms of quality.