Re: "TS packets to determine frame type"

For my specific situation logic goes like this, FWIW:

- The script started when I was working on the other side of the world a couple of years ago, and was downloading TV regularly. I started by using what others had done and improved/modified for my circumstances.  Reducing the recorded size by ~60% into MKV's made this possible. It seemed a relatively short stretch to modify it to save local space, with improved quality as an option as well. It became a seamless reality, and then under real-world testing, a few non-fatal issues came up.

- 4TB disks are USD 150 - the ones I'd buy where I am at least.

- Having lost at least 2 new enterprise class disks in quick succession a few years ago with some valuable data and recordings not backed-up, I wouldn't consider not using a RAID or other reliable storage technique.  Hence a RAID upgrade would be USD 450 equivalent.

- I'm at 93% on my 4TB RAID and by reducing this to maybe 60-70% I can see out the disks' lives, perhaps another 2 yrs by which time, based on current trends I expect rotating disks will no longer be required because TCO (considering the need to RAID them + power use over lifetime which is not insignificant) means SSD's will probably be cost effective.  So the USD 450 on a new RAID right now would be largely wasted, I plan to wait and go direct to low power non-RAID SSD, which is the holy grail (financially and environmentally).

Make a bit more sense now?

Richard