Re: Device power saving feature - power measurements

Hi Richard,

Unlike DVB-S/S2 tuners your DVB-T/T2 ones don't have to supply power to
a LNB (which draws at least 2W). So, your 3W drop can be considered as
"normal". For your USB stick even 1W saving can be helpful.

Thanks again for testing.

Sergey.

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 11:21:24AM +0100, Richard F wrote:
> Sergey,
>
> I took down the server at the weekend to install a newly built kernel
> and insert the power monitor.
>
> 47W  - All services running at idle, tuner power saving disabled
> 44W - All services running at idle, tuner power saving enabled
>
> As tuners are powered down most of the time, that's a handy 6% average
> saving.
>
> The hardware is an HP 8300CMT with high efficiency PSU, G2130 Ivy bridge
> CPU and a 3 x 2T RAID + KMC4400R for CCTV video capture,  the tuners are
> PCTV Nanostick 290e for HD/SD (USB2) and an old Leadtek DTV1000 T (PCI)
> for SD - both of which are super-reliable BTW.
>
> Obviously other tuners will vary, and if the PSU isn't the efficient 90%
> one like this, the savings will be marginally more.
>
> Richard
>

> On 2/06/2016 17:15, glenvt18 wrote:
> >> As the server also runs the home automation/lights/heating/security,
> >> CCTV, mail server, and file storage/Owncloud ...
> > That's the main purpose of this feature. You don't have to switch off
> > your tuners physically, close your connections or put your server into
> > sleep (and ARM devices usually don't have a sleep mode at all). You can
> > stream your recordings, watch movies and do other stuff with your server
> > and, at the same time, keep your tuners cold.
> >
> >> OK, I'll keep an eye on it. No adverse effects yet - good work, thanks.
> > I've modified the monitor script:
> > http://pastebin.com/DR4gUdZR
> >
> > Now it prints timestamps and it's output can be searched and grep-ed.
> > Run it with '|tee' for several days.
> >
> > Best,
> > Sergey Chernyavskiy.

glenvt18