Re: Using a rasberry pi as vdr client

> Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 19:19:13 +0200
> From: biribi@xxxxxxx
> To: vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [vdr] Using a rasberry pi as vdr client
>
> Hi
>
> I want to use raspberry pi as if it were a graphic card : I mean the dvb
> devices on a PC style server, IR receiver preferably on the server too
> (rpi and server in the same room)

Considering your RPi is going to be the frontend, my best guess would that your IR receiver must be
connected to your RPi.

> I don't know how to configure it, there is apparently 2 ways of doing it
> (from what I understood)
>
> + xineliboutput with vdr-fbfe (rpi plugin is closed source ? the one
> here :
> http://www.vdr-portal.de/board18-vdr-hardware/board98-arm-co/118588-rasperry-pi-xine-plugin/)

I don't have any experience with this solution, but I think I now have something to do this weekend ^^

> + streamdev and rpihddevice (which additional plugins ?)
>
> The second way seems to be more complicated to configure, and I'm not
> sure it suits my project, but the rpihddevice is well maintained though.

The easiest way to get the 2nd solution running has to be the MiniDVBLinux distribution (http://www.minidvblinux.de/
for your RPi v1 or v2. While the site and parts of the software is in German, I was able to get it up and running quite easily.

> The first solution is perhaps much straightforward and includes a media
> player (?)

That sounds correct.

> Could you tell me more please ?

Well, I really liked the MLD distro with my old RPi v1 and a MCE remote. The zapping speed was quite good and
issues were minimal. Then again, I tested this like 3 months back; so my guess would be that there are quite a
number of improvements made since I last tested this.

> Damien

Regards,

Niels Wagenaar