Re: Using a rasberry pi as vdr client

> + streamdev and rpihddevice (which additional plugins ?)

> The second way seems to be more complicated to configure, and I'm not
> sure it suits my project, but the rpihddevice is well maintained though.

> Could you tell me more please ?

I haven't tried the fbfe, but I borrowed a raspberry pi model B from work and
tried with rpihddevice and streamdev. I have the main vdr machine running
streamdev server and I also mounted the video directory on the pi with nfs4.

Sometimes this setup seems slow. I suggest using a raspberry pi 2 just because
it has more cpu power.

I might also get a gigabit usb-ethernet adapter for the pi. I hope that would
make fast forward/rewind smoother when playing HD.

With rpihddevice you need to buy an mpeg2 license for the pi to watch mpeg2
channels. I didn't (because the pi is not mine) so I havent' tried any mpeg2
stuff on the pi.

rpihddevice can output interlaced signal to hdmi so deinterlacing can be done
on the tv.

You should install svdrpservice and remoteosd to the pi and svdrposd to the
server. That way it's easy to create timers and manage other things on the
server. See http://vdr.schmirler.de/

Editing recordings on the pi through nfs is painfully slow. If I have time,
I'll write a script to be run from reccmds.conf that will ssh to the server
and run vdr --edit <the recording> there. Other option would be to use svdrp
to start the remote editing.