Re: xineliboutput and streamdev at the same time

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:05:45 +0300 Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:40:41AM +0200, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> >vdr-fbfe is connecting over network to a vdr running on a full
> >machine. No need for streamdev.
>
> This looks interesting. Am I right assuming that the full machine
> will not need any video output?

Yes, you are right. Vdr is running like a daemon.

> Can vdr-fbfe be used for editing recordings on the RPi, or is
> there too much latency when using 10Mb/s Ethernet to connect to an
> old VDR server?

I'd not recommend a 10Mb/s. Fast Ethernet (100Mb/s) should be the
minimum.

> How about using vdr-fbfe to connect on a vdr instance running on the
> same RPi machine?

Yes.

> Is it technically possible to for example pause a
> live SD TV stream and copy some files over the Ethernet at the same
> time?

Which scenario? VDR on RPI or on a remote? If VDR on a remote host,
IIRC, pausing causes very few bandwidth as only a still image is
displayed.

The pause is global to all connected clients to this vdr-remote. Yes,
you can connect several clients to one xineliboutput-vdr-host but they
will all have the same channel and OSD appearances displayed - IOW,
they are not independent.

> The single USB bus on the RPi would in that case need to handle
> the traffic of a hard disk adapter as well as the DVB dongle and the
> built-in Ethernet controller.

Yes. IMHO, it is better to use RPI only as client with no harddisk.

--
Patrick.