Re: TBS6285 slow onscreen menu

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 04:23:36PM +0200, Milos Kapoun wrote:
TBS drivers replace all media tree in the kernel. After compilation I have problem with IR remote on the current Hauppage Nova–T card.

If the Hauppauge card is comparable with the Nova-T PCI 90002 and if the media drivers are being replaced with some old versions that I had experience with, I may have some advice.

In 2004 or 2005 when I started using VDR, I wrote some patches at http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/. Then, I got busy with other life and decided that VDR is ‘good enough’ for me. Last autumn, I updated my old hardware to current Debian (skipping 1 or 2 stable releases!) and VDR 2.0. This time I am using the stock Debian kernel.

Among my old patches, at the end of the page you can see two patches for the cx88 driver, related to the mapping of IR messages to key-press or key-repeat events.

In the 2.6 kernel version that I used back then, there was some extra translation layer that made the remote control behaviour too unpredictable to my taste. For example, it was impossible to reach a given menu entry in a long list by holding the Down button and releasing it at the right moment.

Let us say that RC5 packets are being sent by the RCU 2 times per second. The kernel driver would instantiate some kind of a virtual keyboard, which maintains its own state of ‘is a button being pressed down’. The kernel driver would then emit key-repeat events at some arbitrary rate, let us say 1.5 times per second. From this it should be obvious that you can get an extra key-repeat event after releasing the button on the RCU.

For the fat-fingered, I guess that you should discard the first repeated packet from the remote control. So, you would translate the sequence of RC5 packets to a KeyPress, then to an ignored event, and all subsequent repeated packets to KeyRepeat.

There is some explanation of the RC5 protocol at http://www.clearwater.com.au/rc5/. I used this as a reference in 2005 when I created a circuit that powers up my VDR box when I press the Power button: http://www.iki.fi/~msmakela/electronics/worc5/

	Marko