Re: CAM questions

Ralph, thanks for explanation. This is compeletely different answer from what I got 2 weeks ago. So back to my example from the first post. CI is paired with (bound to, connected to or name it as you like) a specific tuner and I cannot use Conax CAM in CI connected to WinTV-Nova-CI-S card to decrypt transport stream provided by Terratec Cinergy T (DVB-C tuner) which doesn't have CI interface.

Michal

On 05/22/2014 03:12 PM, Ralph Metzler wrote:
Michal Novotny writes:
  > Why must they be on the same transponder? That was my original question
  > in this thread and the answer was different.
  >
  > So even if I have CAM that can decrypt multiple channels, it cannot
  > decrypt multiple channels from different tuners?

No, with most hardware this is not possible. The transport stream input of the
CAM-Interface is usually directly connected to the output of the tuner/demodulator
of the card it is mounted on or connected to. So, only services in this one
transport stream can be decrypted.

Only on few card models this is not the case and an arbitrary transport stream
can be sent from the PC memory to a CAM-Interface, through the CAM-Module, and
back to the PC memory.
In this case, you can take partial transport streams from several tuners,
mux them together, send them through the CAM, decrypt them, etc.
But even for those cards VDR does not (yet fully) support this.

Ralph