Re: start VDR without hardware for test and tutorial

----Origineel Bericht----
Van : cedric.dewijs@xxxxxxxxxx
Datum : 28/11/2013 22:17
Aan : vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp : start VDR without hardware for test and tutorial

Hi All,

I'm writing a tutorial on VDR for debian. To make the individual steps as small as possible, I would like to begin without any special hardware, just a normal PC.
It turns out VDR refuses to run when no DVB card is found. Is there a configuration option somewhere to let VDR run without hardware? Can I create a dummy DVB device somehow?

The guide (unfinished) is here:
https://wiki.debian.org/VDR

Best regards,
Cedric

My versions:
VDR 1.7.28
Debian 7.2.0 Stable (installed today)

The error in /var/log/syslog
No DVB device found
ERROR: invalid primary device number: 1
ERROR: no primary device found = using first device!
ERROR: invalid primary device number: 1
exiting, exit code 2
runvdr: stopping after fatal fail (vdr: no primary device found - using first device!)

Hi All,

For now I have stated in the tutorial it's not possible to start VDR without hardware.
In the meantime, I have found virtualDVB. It looks like you can feed it video from VLC, and it then presents itself as a DVB device.
https://launchpad.net/virtual-dvb

Does anybody has experience with this solution?

Best regards,
Cedric