Re: Digital Devices (Linux 4 Media) 4 port (8 tuner) octopus/Duoflex experiences

On 27-11-12 10:51, Ralph Metzler wrote:
Oliver Schinagl writes:
  > On 27-11-12 10:33, Ralph Metzler wrote:
  > > Oliver Schinagl writes:
  > >   > > I'm interested for such information. (I'm looking also for good well supported DVB-S2 device to target multiple satellite)
  > >   > >
  > >   > > I've a question for you Olivier. I don't know that brand. Why going to 1 dualtuner board and the octopus. In the same brand you can also use the Cine S2 that could eventually be expended with a dualtuner board for example. What are the limitation?
  > >   >  From what I know, is that the hardware is nearly identical on both setups.
  > >   >
  > >   > The Cine S2 is an octopus with only 2 connectors (which allows 4 extra
  > >   > tuners) and has 2 onboard tuners, so 6 tuners maximum.
  > >   >
  > >   > The Octopus is ONLY the bridge chip (in FPGA form strangly in the latest
  > >   > revisions, was the nGene before, driver is the same so maybe they got
  > >   > some IP from micronas to put in the FPGA due to performance/scaling
  > >   > issues?) but has 4 connectors for expansion cards. So you can connect 8
  > >
  > > Micronas has nothing to do with the new bridge. nGene is no longer in production
  > > and it also lacked inputs and outputs to support more tuners/CIs.\
  > Well the new FPGA based design uses the nGene driver, so it at the very

No it does not. It uses the ddbridge driver.

  > least is compatible on an API front. It would sound somewhat reasonable
  > that either they re-implemented part of the chip or got some secret IP
  > from micronas ;)

No, it has nothing to do with Micronas.

  > In any case, there is an FPGA on the board that behaves 'like' the nGene :)

No, it does not.

I do not know how you get this idea!?!?!
I have this strange idea, that I saw the ddbridge reference in the nGene driver. Now that you make me look again, I can't find said reference :)

So I stand very much corrected! The conclusion still holds, the ddbridge + duoflex dvb-s2 should be very well supported!

ddbridge is a completely different driver.

Regards,
Ralph