Re: HDMI output detection problems

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Jouni Karvo <Jouni.Karvo@xxxxxx> wrote:
> since starting to use a AV receiver between TV and VDR, I have had HDMI
> detection problems.
>
> To start X server even when TV is not on, I use custom edid file that I got
> from the tuner.  With this, VDR always starts X properly, so even if VDR has
> auto-started for recording, the output works.
>
> Card: Nvidia GT220, vdr-xine plugin, Xorg, NAD receiver and Sony TV.
>
> If I start TV, though, for some reason, most often there is no negoatiation
> (or a failed one) between the receiver and VDR, so there will be no picture.
> Normally there is a sound, though. I have to switch the input selector of
> the receiver first to DVD input, then back to TV input to get the image.  If
> the tuner and TV are on when X server starts, the image appears correctly.
>
> Are there any flags in nvidia-settings or Xorg.conf or Xine configuration
> that would tell the graphics card to help the tuner to notice that there
> indeed is an image also on the HDMI cable?

I have a few dedicated VDR setups which all have a combination of
Nvidia GT2xx cards + Sony & Panasonic receivers and tv's. All are
connected with hdmi only. I did use VDR + vdr-xine + xine-lib-1.2
vdpau and never experienced the problem you described. I switched to
vdr-softhddevice instead of vdr-xine/xine-lib-1.2 and still no
problems here. Doesn't matter if the receiver, tv, or both is off when
VDR is started, it always works. I didn't do anything special but I
did let the Nvidia installer generate my xorg.conf for me. All my
setups are Nvidia HDMI out -> receiver HDMI in. Then receiver HDMI out
-> tv HDMI in. That's all. How is your setup cabled? I've heard a
similar story before and it turned out to be a quirky receiver but I
can't say if NAD has that problem or not.