Re: RFE: Make VDR more friendly when using combinations of DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-C

Am 17.06.2012 14:16, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
On 16.06.2012 16:53, Ludi wrote:
Hi Klaus,

First of all, thanks for your reply and for taking the problem into
account.

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:32:11 +0200
Klaus Schmidinger<Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 15.06.2012 17:17, Ludi wrote:
Hello,

Some time ago, I started a discussion in german on the VDR forum
about making the VDR more friendly for users that are
simultaneously using different sources to receive channels:
http://www.vdr-portal.de/board16-video-disk-recorder/board8-vdr-grundlagen/110156-%C3%BCberlegungen-zur-channels-conf-f%C3%BCr-dvb-c-s-t-mischbetrieb/index3.html

I am going to explain the problem, when receiving channels from two
different sources by using the second german public channel named
ZDF:

Suppose a user is receiving the channel ZDF by dvb-s and dvb-t. For
the VDR, these are two different channels, and it probably is not a
bad thing that the VDR differentiates between them because these
channels might be of different quality (different data rates,
etc.). However, as both sources name these channels often the same
way, it is not easily possible to differentiate between the two
channels in the VDR OSD, which is particularly annoying for the
timers, one of the main VDR features.

Currently, I work around this problem, by setting the VDR to not
update channelnames and manually adding a suffix to the
channelnames in the channels.conf. So, to use the example above and
differentiate between the two channels, they could be renamed to
ZDF-s and ZDF-t (or ZDF.s and ZDF.t, or...). In practice, I only
only rename the channelnames of the source with the smallest number
of channels; I know that the channelnames without suffix are those
from the other source.

@ Klaus

Do you think that you could add an additional option to one of your
next VDR releases, like "Add suffix about source to channelnames"; I
could imagine such an option next to the "Update channels" option in
the DVB section of the Setup in the OSD of the VDR.

Since the information is already in the channels.conf for every
channel, I assume, that it will not require huge changes to the VDR
code to use channelnames-source (or something similar) instead of
only the channelname in the channelname field of the channels.conf,
when the corresponding option is active.

I'd rather have the channels.conf entries keep the names that are
broadcast in the SI data. I wouldn't want to add a "source" suffix
there.

I understand your concerns.

I assumed that changing the names in the channels.conf would be the
best in order to make also the plugins and other software use the
names+source for free. Moreover, since the channels.conf can be
constantly updated, I thought that it would not really matter, because
the names without source could be restored in the channels.conf by
simply disabling the new option and configure the update setting to
also  modify the channelnames. I was not aware that there was a
standard for the broadcasting of the channelnames; but it does not
surprise me either now.

However, I could imagine adding a function like

    cString cChannel::NameWithSource(void)

which would return things like

    ZDF (DVB-T)
    ZDF (DVB-S)

or, shorter,

    ZDF (T)
    ZDF (S)

and using that function instead of the Name() function at the
appropriate places.

If I get you right, that means that if the user activates the new option
(I assume that you will make it optional, since most people
probably use only one source and do not have the problem), the VDR uses
the NameWithSource() method instead of the Name() method.

But what does this mean for the plugins? I am particularly thinking at
the plugins related to the timers, like the epgsearch and the live
plugin. Will they have to be adapted or will they also show the
name+source if the new option is enabled?

Concerning whether to use the longer or the shorter version of the
name+source, I would choose the shorter version to not increase chances
of the new name not fitting in the OSD. Thus:

     ZDF (S)
     ZDF (T)
     ZDF (C)

After sleeping over this for a night I tend to follow your idea of using modifed
names directly, thus having them appear everywhere.

I won't change these names in channels.conf, though (this file shall always store what comes from the broadcaster - provided it is enabled in the setup).
I'll rather

- Make a setup option to "Show channel names with source" (default is "no").
- Modify cChannel::Name() and cChannel::ShortName() to optionally
  append the source character (A, C, S, T, I, ...) to the channel name
  in the (short) form mentioned above.

Hi,

satellite sources are a special case because with satellites it is possible to receive more than one satellite position. For example, there is a channel called "Sky Atlantic HD" on S28.2E, but there's also a channel called "Sky Atlantic HD" on S19.2E. Both channels have different EPG data and different audio/language streams.

My suggestion: Users with more than one satellite position might want to enable an option "Show full satellite position name" so that they don't see "Sky Atlantic HD (S)" but instead "Sky Atlantic HD (S19.2E)".

Cheers,
Henning