Re: RFE: Make VDR more friendly when using combinations of DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-C

Hi again,

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:53:58 +0200
Ludi <ludi113@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > > update channelnames and manually adding a suffix to the
> > > channelnames in the channels.conf. So, to use the example above
> > > and differentiate between the two channels, they could be renamed
> > > to ZDF-s and ZDF-t (or ZDF.s and ZDF.t, or...). In practice, I
> > > only only rename the channelnames of the source with the smallest
> > > number of channels; I know that the channelnames without suffix
> > > are those from the other source.
> > >
> > > @ Klaus
> > >
> > > Do you think that you could add an additional option to one of
> > > your next VDR releases, like "Add suffix about source to
> > > channelnames"; I could imagine such an option next to the "Update
> > > channels" option in the DVB section of the Setup in the OSD of
> > > the VDR.
> > >
> > > Since the information is already in the channels.conf for every
> > > channel, I assume, that it will not require huge changes to the
> > > VDR code to use channelnames-source (or something similar)
> > > instead of only the channelname in the channelname field of the
> > > channels.conf, when the corresponding option is active.
> >
> > I'd rather have the channels.conf entries keep the names that are
> > broadcast in the SI data. I wouldn't want to add a "source" suffix
> > there.
>
> I understand your concerns.
>
> I assumed that changing the names in the channels.conf would be the
> best in order to make also the plugins and other software use the
> names+source for free. Moreover, since the channels.conf can be
> constantly updated, I thought that it would not really matter, because
> the names without source could be restored in the channels.conf by
> simply disabling the new option and configure the update setting to
> also  modify the channelnames. I was not aware that there was a
> standard for the broadcasting of the channelnames; but it does not
> surprise me either now.
>
> > However, I could imagine adding a function like
> >
> >    cString cChannel::NameWithSource(void)
> >
> > which would return things like
> >
> >    ZDF (DVB-T)
> >    ZDF (DVB-S)
> >
> > or, shorter,
> >
> >    ZDF (T)
> >    ZDF (S)
> >
> > and using that function instead of the Name() function at the
> > appropriate places.
>
> If I get you right, that means that if the user activates the new
> option (I assume that you will make it optional, since most people
> probably use only one source and do not have the problem), the VDR
> uses the NameWithSource() method instead of the Name() method.
>
> But what does this mean for the plugins? I am particularly thinking at
> the plugins related to the timers, like the epgsearch and the live
> plugin. Will they have to be adapted or will they also show the
> name+source if the new option is enabled?
>
> Concerning whether to use the longer or the shorter version of the
> name+source, I would choose the shorter version to not increase
> chances of the new name not fitting in the OSD. Thus:

I suppose that ZDF (I) for the IPTV reception would also make sense.
And what about analogue and the other standards?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television

Maybe that the different ways of reception are already available in an
header of the VDR or in some definition of the channels.conf.

> > > In case, I am missing something, I would also like to ask
> > > everybody reading this to let us know, if for any reason, the
> > > idea about replacing the channelnames with channelname-source
> > > cannot work.
> >
> > Well, it could work all right. But as I said, I'd like to keep that
> > raw data in the channels.conf entries.
>
> In any case, I am grateful for anything you will do to improve
> the VDR for people receiving channels from different sources.

Cheers,

Ludi