Re: Convert recording

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Marx <acc.for.news@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For now it's rather long way: I convert .ts stream into mpeg2 (I forgot the
> name but it's software which allows cut file altogether, hovewer it's not
> user friendly becauses of small preview window), then convert it with some
> software (VirtualDub, Handbrake or ffmpeg), then rename and load into XBMC
> library.
>
> I know it's rather lously connected with VDR, hovewer I have idea of using
> VDR as main tool in this toolchain. First it knows from EPG metadata the
> name of movie, so it can find it in IMDB (in fact both web interfaces can do
> that now). Next it allows to cut recordings (hovewer I prefer doing it with
> keyboard) and sometimes automate ads removing. The last piece is converting
> which also is available via some external scripts.
>
> The problem is I would prefer doing it via web interface, because keyboard &
> mouse is more productive than remote. I hoverwer didn't find possibility to
> start converting via web interface.

You should look into VDR's "commands.conf". Next, don't do any
unnecessary encoding. Cut the ads from the VDR recording either within
VDR or using an external app, then transcode the editing recording
directly to xvid. IMDB probably has an api to fetch data but if not,
you still have the info from the VDR recording and can just parse IMDB
webpages using a script.

One note about encoding...  Do yourself a favor and use a target
quantizer rather than target bitrate or filesize. Every video is
different and has different requirements to maintain quality. There is
no 'magic encoding settings' where one-size-fits-all, but using a
target quantizer will get you closer than anything else. With xvid I'd
recommend 3-5, and do a 2-pass encode. You may want to consider
transcoding to x264 (in an mkv container) instead. In most cases it
will give you better quality at smaller sizes. The mkv container is
far more capable that avi.

These days the only reason to both with xvid is if you use some old &
outdated standalone player that only supports xvid.