Re: Memory leak (was Re: Channel 4 HD on Freesat)

On 26 March 2012 15:44, Tony Houghton <h@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How would you analyze or debug a memory leak in a running environment:
>> - which thread/plugin is the root cause?
>> - which datastructure sees the growth?
>> - which allocs are not bracketed by a proper de-alloc?
>
> Debian also includes a script to run vdr in valgrind but it didn't find
> the leak even when I added the --show-reachable option. Perhaps I need
> to check the fork-related options.
>
> I haven't tried static analysis of the source code so far because C++
> isn't my forte. Are any of eepg's developers available to check into
> this?

When I briefly ran vdr under valgrind earlier this month, it threw up
a number of potential memory leaks in eepg, so I'm surprised you're
not seeing those. I'll have a quick look on my box later to see if I
have the .log output handy.

EEPG also caused a segfault in VDR a few times whilst valgrind was
running. Tbh it should probably be rewritten from scratch, ideally
with separate plugins for each of the supported extended epg services,
so you can run a minimal set.