Re: Streamdev script to stream audio only?

Hi there,

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 05:00:24PM +0200, Teemu Suikki wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need a mp3 audio stream of live tv channels.. I tried to do it with ffmpeg,
> but it doesn't work properly. No data is transferred, I guess ffmpeg doesn't
> like to write to a fifo?

I did something similar once (relaying Internet radio stations to the local
network in order to save outbound bandwidth with many users in parallel), and
ran into trouble because the buffered nature of a fifo/pipe made audio skip
every few seconds (tried with both ffmpeg and mplayer initially and also tried
using an unbuffered pipe as a means of IPC, but in the end, neither worked and
I had to look elsewhere). I settled for a solution involving Icecast as the
streaming server, and a stripped down, cli-only custom build of VideoLAN
Client (VLC) as its source. VLC comes with an optional Icecast output plugin
you can enable at build-time that allows you to recode the incoming data on
the fly, and relay it to Icecast in another format (OGG Vorbis or MP3, iirc).

I'm pretty sure you should be able to do that with a video input as your
source, too.

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )

www:   http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp:  johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please do not bother me with HTML-eMail or attachments. Thank you.